POWER STEERING CANISTER O RING SEAL.

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
Dick Koch

POWER STEERING CANISTER O RING SEAL.

Post by Dick Koch »

Good news - When your power steering pump starts to leak, nine out of ten times its the canister O ring. NAPA has a pump repair kit #7-105 that includes the pump shaft seal, the large canister O ring and a multitude of other seals and O rings at $17.00 a pop. I did a lot of running around trying to find the large O ring only. First I went to a local pump and steering box rebuilder, he sent me to a hydraulic hose place, they had some large O rings but not the one I needed, they in turn sent me one block up the road to a Bearing and Seal supply house. They had the correct O ring in stock at $2.50 a pop. It's American Standard part No. 568-245 or Parker part No. 2-245. You can get the Shaft seal individually at NAPA. I suggest yall make a note in your parts book
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Re: POWER STEERING CANISTER O RING SEAL.

Post by Dick Koch »

Something else - The usual way I install a shaft seal is to find a socket that goes over the shaft and fits the outer edge of the seal then tap it in place. Two things happen, one is I drive it too far and usually distort the metal part of the seal. Mike that repuilds pumps and steering said that most seals should be flush with the surrounding metal.
Take a flat washer that fits over the shaft and has a large enough OD to go past the seal itself then tap it in place with a socket. Walla, it's flush and not bent. Who'ed ov thunk it.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: POWER STEERING CANISTER O RING SEAL.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Good tip Mr. Koch! I will print this off and put it in my 59 build folder that I keep.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/