Fan belt pulley

Got a question? This is the place to ask
eroomas

Fan belt pulley

Post by eroomas »

40 miles short of my 7 hour drive from Green Bay to home last night my fan belt pulley bearing exploded. miraculously nothing was damaged. This is whats left of my pulley. Not sure how these things go together,could it be as simple as putting in a new bearing? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
pulley.jpg
Mark Merritt

Re: Fan belt pulley

Post by Mark Merritt »

Looks like it cracked and separated. That is the crank pulley? It looks different than mine.I can't say I ever heard of that happening, can you post some more pictures of it? Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Its not the crank pulley, its the one located below the generator, its an unusual set up because of the factory air. The spindle is not cracked but the bearing came apart. the shaft is toast.
Spindle.jpg
Shaft.jpg
location.jpg
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Sam; Try John at Big M, or go to "Home of the forward look" they have A parts wanted forum I am sure they were used on other forward look cars. Find A part # for it. I think it is an idler pulley. Does the bearing have A part # on the sleeve? Near where I live we have Erie Bearing Supply and can get about anything.They look up A part # or cross reference. If that does not do it they take and measure the sleeve. A good machinist can make another shaft, but you may find another.It probably needed A shot of oil on the bearing now and then.Research for A part # of the idler. Mine had factory air but was scabbed away I am sure years ago, all I have left is they what I think is A compressor mount. I am sure some one got big bucks for that unit. If I had one I would give it to you. Good luck Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

Thanks a lot for your input, I'll try some of those tbings. I'm wondering of a good machinists could bore out the spindle to retrofit a bearing.
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

For my own reference part # 1944845 Jack shaft pulley