New project, inputs needed

Got a question? This is the place to ask
PlumGr8SRT8

New project, inputs needed

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

So picking up a '59 Fury in a couple months (away for work until then). It was originally used as a drag vehicle, not all tub'd out or anything, but big block 440, etc. So my tentative plans is as follows:

Need new floor pans, already found those online so i will replace them.

Has some rust of the left front and right rear that will require some body work or panel sectioning. Is there a source for those body panels like there is for the floor pans?

It has manual brakes and steering, have been looking at a few brake options, i did email AAJ but haven't heard back. I was looking at other brake kits, other then AAJ but was in need of brake booster, proportional valve etc. Is there a place or PN's that they can be sourced from?

Power steering - Just quick browsing, but i did find power steering gear box for a Fury, i know i would need a pump and pulley for the motor i am using, what else is needed? Different steering column etc?

There will be more, but those are the big things i want to do. Floor pans, brakes, steering, new shocks etc get that all going, then get the engine going and be able to drive and enjoy it while i wait to do a complete rebuild how i want. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated thanks
Matthew Keij

Re: New project, inputs needed

Post by Matthew Keij »

As far as sheet metal for a 59, that’s a hard part. Best is to find good original sheet metal. John Fowlie (BigM) might be able to help you with that.
He also should be able to help you with power brakes and power steering.

A set of properly adjusted drum brakes will brake as hard as discs.

For power brakes you need the pedal assemble, brake booster, master cilinder, plate behind booster and master cilinder, vacuum tank, fitting in the intake.

Power steering you need the steering box, steering column, since it has a 440 you need a big block pump and bracket
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It's hard for me to tell if you need eyebrows or not - but, if you do, John Diekewicz may still have his pair for sale.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Thanks for the reply, yea i did come across BigM, i sent him a PM already as well.

I''m a disc fan :) look better to, IMO haha

All that to go from manual to power brakes? I skimmed over a few threads, saw the AAJ kit etc, i don't remember seeing all of that. Looked mostly to just be replacing the master cylinder, the brake booster and valve. Unless i missed something?

Is the power steering column just shorter? or different entirely?

Already have the floor pans bookmarked to replace, but have a couple other spot of body rust i need to address. Hopefully BigM can help with those issues.
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Faulkner wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 am It's hard for me to tell if you need eyebrows or not - but, if you do, John Diekewicz may still have his pair for sale.
From what the seller was saying, it has a couple spots of rust through on the driver side eyebrow closer to the hood, not sure if i can easily fix that or if i will need to weld in replacement ones
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

and what is "scope creep"?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Are you referring to this post? I just meant to say that as I get further and further into my project, the scope of it tends to "creep" outwards to be broader and broader. It happens! Also known as the "mushroom factor"... :o :?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

For the power brakes, it runs on vacuum from the engine so you need a fitting for the hoses. It should be on the inktake manifold on the rear.

The pedal is different too as it goes up higher to make contact with the booster.
The plate between the booster and firewall is almost the same, only difference is the hole for the brake booster.
The plates are easy to find
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am For the power brakes, it runs on vacuum from the engine so you need a fitting for the hoses. It should be on the inktake manifold on the rear.

The pedal is different too as it goes up higher to make contact with the booster.
The plate between the booster and firewall is almost the same, only difference is the hole for the brake booster.
The plates are easy to find
Did not know that. Haven't seen that referenced in any of the threads, posts or kits i've look at. Thanks for the heads up
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

That’s why we are here :mrgreen: happy to help anytime
PlumGr8SRT8

Post by PlumGr8SRT8 »

Matthew Keij wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 am That’s why we are here :mrgreen: happy to help anytime
Appreciated, i can handle a lot, but have no problem asking for help/info when i enter into uncharted territory