Tony DiCenso - Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Faulkner

Tony DiCenso - Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Post by Faulkner »

9.jpg

Tony writes, "Miss Carol Jean Potts bought a red 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop on September 3rd, 1959 at Marksheffel Motors (Dodge and Plymouth) in Colorado Springs, Colorado (her name was stamped in 2 places in the owner's manual). The car came with the following amenities: Fury V-800 engine with Super-Pak, automatic transmission, dual outside mirrors, with driver's remote control; swivel bucket seats, Mirror-matic rear view mirror, radio with dual rear antennas, rubber bumper guards front and rear, and a factory continental kit on the decklid. I bought the car on November 17, 2002 from W. Ray Tilley of Black Forest, CO, he was the second owner of the car. The Sport Fury along with several other Chryslers was sitting on his property in a Ponderosa pine forest. The back end of the car was buried in 6" long pine needles, which didn't help the lower rear quarters, both of which are rusted out."

1.jpg
2.jpg

"After getting the car started, I brought her home on a trailer with the help of my good friend CPT Bret Smith, USA. The car needs both fenders, both lower rear quarters, and the rockers replaced. The front valence was missing along with the necessary brackets, but I now have one along with fenders and a left rear quarter from a parts car that I bought last year. It now sports all new tires on blasted and painted wheels."

3.jpg
4.jpg

"Here's 40 years of Plymouth, the Sport Fury and my '99 Breeze, what a difference in styling! I took the rear antennas off because I cover the car with a California Car Cover during the winter."

5.jpg
6.jpg

"The sport steering wheel was recast by Don Eash of South Fork, PA, in fall of 2003. The car will go through a rotisserie restoration after my '58 Belvedere sedan and '65 Sport Fury convertible are restored. I'm planning to call the Sport Fury 'Carol Jean' in honor of the first owner. I'm planning to track her down, I have receipts with her married name, hopefully I'll be to track down some relatives in the Colorado Springs area."

7.jpg
8.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"