Generator to alternator change

Got a question? This is the place to ask
vanguy16

Generator to alternator change

Post by vanguy16 »

Hello folks.

The setup this car came with had an alternator with a built in regulator and also another two wire style regulator.

Do we need the external regulator? Our alternator died and now I'm wondering why we couldnt just use the alternators internal regulator.

Am I missing something that had to be done because of the previous owners swap from a generator to an alternator?

Who has done the swap from.generator to alternator?
Should we be using the one wire Mopar style alternator?

I'm confused
Faulkner

Re: Generator to alternator change

Post by Faulkner »

Hi Mike,

I admit to not knowing about two-wire alternator setups; this article suggests that there is a need for an external regulator with a two-wire alternator. But I can tell you, if you buy a one-wire alternator with an internal regulator, all you need is to make sure that wire finds its way back to the positive terminal of the battery. That could happen, e.g., if they old regulator for the battery is still mounted to the inner fender, and you run that one alternator wire to the BAT terminal of the regulator.

As long as the A(rmature) and F(ield) terminals of the regulator aren't connected to anything, you should be fine - the alternator will deliver charge back to the battery through the BAT terminal.

You can get the alternator - and, all the help - you need from this guy: https://www.ebay.com/str/howardent

Bill Howard Enterprises. I just took delivery of a 6V positive ground alternator from him, for installation in my '54 Suburban.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
vanguy16

Re: Generator to alternator change

Post by vanguy16 »

Well we stick with the heavy duty voltage regulator and three wire (batt and 2 field) alternator. I also purchased a new silver 4 post solenoid from Princess Auto.

Next will be to fix up all the wiring from that positive post on the solenoid
I will be doing a fused junction box for all the 12v lines coming of it.

As you can see a nice upgrade from the old solenoid and hard to see but about 7 wires coming off the + post.
IMG_20221023_170933.jpg
IMG_20221023_131405.jpg