Update on the website

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

Update on the website

Post by Faulkner »

Folks, as you may have guessed -- I'm an amateur website designer, at best. If it weren't for the product "Dreamweaver", I'd be no designer at all! My webpages routinely fail W3C compliance (the governing body for HTML standards), but I've never been concerned about that. What I have been concerned about, is the fact that the web pages don't look quite right when not viewed in other browsers -- namely, Netscape and Firefox.

I've spent a little time investigating these issues, and I now see that the differences stem from two sources: 1) a failure to include "0 padding and margin" in my global style sheet, and 2) assuming a default alignment for Flash text objects. Neither of these were an issue for Internet Explorer, but affect the other browsers.

I've been able to fix (1) by simply making a change to one file. It's been uploaded to the website, and that change is effective immediately. Alas, the other change requires a visit to each webpage with Macromedia Flash, a modification to each element, and an upload of the page. Needless to say, that will keep me busy for a while! But I do want to make it right -- consequently, I'm continuing to gather new content, but I won't be making new pages until I get this straightened out.

Thanks for being patient. And please keep those cards and letters coming! The World's Slowest Webmaster will get to it sooner or later.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Can't you just wiggle the "rabbit ears" for better reception?
Tha's what Ralph Kramden would do.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Better yet, wiggle my nose and just make it happen. That's what Samantha (on "Betwitched") would do :lol:

Yo Roger, I just now checked the ftp site I set up for you in the members section, and saw that you deposited a movie! The videographer did a most excellent job, I must say. Although, perhaps we will dub something in over her commentary...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

yeah, that's the typical reacton I get from our 8-yr old! Please edit heavily!