starter 230 i-6

Got a question? This is the place to ask
batmobile

starter 230 i-6

Post by batmobile »

i noticed on one of the showcases that there is a starter motor rebuilt. i tried to rebuild the original but age had taken it's toll. the wires the were connected to the "field" were shorting out after i got it put back together. it did not do this before i took it apart, however the starter did not turn, just the bendix engaged. this style of starter was quite foriegn to me, so after i could not disconnect the field from the case to repair it (the flat-head screws were rusted solid with case), so i started looking for other options. i went to the local o'reilly auto parts and they did not have literature that went back to '59, only to '60 model(my usual luck). so i had a them start ordering '60 model starters and i believe it was on either the 2nd or 3rd try i struck gold. the starter was similar in how it bolted, gear size & number of teeth, and same amount of bendix travel. the only thing different was appearance, it had a newer design with the bendix attached to the side of the case like GM. so i could remove the original starter soleniod relay on the inside fender. the replacement starter was the inexpensive line, but that is only company that offered it. the core charge, if i remember correctly, was something to the tune of $40 so i used the '59 as the core. i hated to, but i had no use for it. the cost of the starter was $59.99 + tax. not too bad if u ask me.
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.